Recipe: Fog Horn Grey Cake
We double down on the Earl Grey, featuring our own Beach House Teas Fog Horn Grey artisan loose leaf tea. This bergamot-infused tea in both the rich cocoa cake and pillowy Swiss meringue buttercream make it a decadent delight. We adapted this cake from Bake from Scratch's London Fog Cake
Fog Horn Grey Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (75 grams) canola oil
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams)
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) almond extract
- 2½ cups (313 grams) plain/all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (85 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2½ teaspoons (12.5 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon (3.75 grams) /baking soda
- 1½ cups (360 grams) whole milk
- 1 cup (240 grams) hot strong-brewed Beach House Teas' Fog Horn Grey tea
- Fog Horn Grey Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: flaked sea salt
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour 3 (8-inch) round cakes pans. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, stir together sugars and oil. Add eggs, egg yolk, and extracts, stirring to combine.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, stirring just until combined after each addition. Stir in hot tea just until combined. Divide batter among prepared pans.
Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spread Earl Grey Buttercream between layers and lightly on top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until set, 15 to 20 minutes. Pour Salted Caramel Drizzle over cake, letting it drip over edges. Garnish with sea salt, if desired.
Fog Horn Grey Buttercream
Makes about 3 cups
- 2 cups (454 grams) unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (20 grams) loose Beach House Teas' Fog Horn Grey tea
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 large egg whites (150 grams)
- 1¼ cups (275 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup (227 grams) butter, loose tea, and vanilla extract to a simmer over medium-low heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain butter mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding solids. Refrigerate until the consistency of softened butter, 20 to 30 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer and using the whisk attachment, whisk together egg whites and brown sugar by hand. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook, whisking occasionally, until mixture registers 155°F (68°C) to 160°F (71°C) on a candy thermometer. Carefully return bowl to stand mixer, and beat at high speed until medium-stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes. Switch to the paddle attachment.
- With mixer on low speed, add tea-infused butter and remaining 1 cup (227 grams) butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until combined. Increase mixer speed to medium-high, and beat until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Use immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Let come to room temperature before using.